All my friends are coming home from their sunny (or just their “doing nothing in the winter snow surprise”) spring breaks – and it never fails. All the posts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and SnapChat are filled with sadness that all the “fun” is over and they are back to the mundane.
WE DON’T HAVE TO LIVE THAT WAY.
Today is the best day ever.
WHY? Because if today were my LAST day I would want it to be my BEST day. So we should live every day like it’s spring break. There is absolutely NO ONE saying we can’t. The location might change, the weather might change, the ability to lay out in the sun might change, but if we are dependent on vacations and getaways and money for our happiness, then we are barking up the wrong tree, friends.
We keep living for what’s coming. Our wedding, our vacation, our holiday, our day off, the weekend, the night out…
Why don’t we stop living for what’s coming and start living RIGHT NOW?
So, here are 5 ways for you to live spring break every, single, day. Try them. Plaster the printable on your mirror. You are only given one life, my friends. Live every day like it’s your last – even in what you deem “the mundane”. It doesn’t have to be that way.
It just doesn’t.
5 STRATEGIES FOR BEST DAY EVER
SPRING BREAK LIVING
- When you wake up, tell yourself that today will be the best day ever. I started doing this a few years ago and it has made a huge difference. When I believe it, it happens. I can’t choose what happens to me, but I choose how I respond to it. You are what you think. So, look in the mirror and tell yourself that TODAY will be the best day ever.
- Make a daily appointment with yourself. You don’t have to tell anyone what your appointment is or why. We spend too much time explaining ourselves to others when they ask us to do something and we say no. If you really need the excuse, tell them you have an “appointment”, which is true. It’s with yourself. Then, do something you LOVE. Work out, read, play with your kids, listen to music. Whether it be for 15 minutes or an hour, this must happen every day. It just must.
- Sit still for 5 minutes. I’m serious. Set your phone if you need to. And if you can do longer than 5 minutes, do it. There’s a lot that can happen in 5 minutes of silence. Find your favorite chair and sit. Seriously – don’t move. You’ll be tempted. Because when you sit still you’ll see all the things you need to do. But don’t get on your phone, your computer, or your iPad. Just sit. And enjoy. If it’s raining, appreciate the rain. If it’s snowing, appreciate the snow. If it’s sunny, appreciate the sun. Just soak in the life you get to live every day.
- Do something kind and find joy in the simple. This is possible every day. And you’ll never realize how much it makes a difference until you try it. Smile, write a note, hold a door, don’t get mad in traffic. Pick up some trash, compliment someone, give generously. Just do something that is simply kind for yourself, for someone else, or for our world. Find joy in the very small things you usually don’t notice. Right now I appreciate the soft carpet between my toes and the sunlight streaming in my window. You can find joy everywhere. You just have to look for it.
- Choose. Just decide. We have more ability than we know to make our days the way we want them to be. There is great power in the way we think about ourselves, others, and the world around us. I can choose to live this lovely life well, or I can choose to be mad at the world. Every day may not hand me the plate I want, but it does offer me the opportunity to choose what to do with it.
Every day can be “spring break”. A lot of what we experience in the mundane could actually be full of joy and beauty. But we have to make the decision to make it that way. It’s a choice.
Now you just have to make it.
To check out my spreadshirt shoppe Wear Your Reminders, click here to check out all the designs I’ve created! I always want to remember to Choose Joy and make today the BEST DAY EVER, so I’ve created shirts, bags, phones, and iPhone/iPad cases to keep as reminders of my mantras! The pictures below are just a sampling (including Bride and Groom Best Day Ever shirts!) Enjoy!